Saturday, January 23, 2010

about ... me

Changing things around a bit for this post. I've been having on my to-do list blogging a little about myself. It's important for clients to click with their photographer. So instead of showing you a session preview I'm going randomly talk about what makes me... Abigail Todd.
- I was born & raised in Hialeah, Florida... (neighbor city to Miami. kind of like Gonzales & Prairieville... it's hard to pinpoint where they split.) I love Miami. It will always be home and like no other. The people, the food, the look, the feel, the rush, the Cubans, the pastelitos, the BEACH ( never know how much I would miss it until you move away )... ahh one day. One day I will live there again.
- Spanish is my first language, although now that I live in Louisiana I hardly ever speak it. When I am upset I usually think in Spanish... and talk really fast.
- Family is big deal to me. I have a big loud and emotional Cuban clan back in Miami. We used to do everything together. They still do without me. I miss it/them all the time.
- My favorite thing to do (other than photography) is shop. Mainly for shoes. I LOVE shoes. I have quite a collection of every kind of style and color combination possible.
- I want to travel everywhere. Now. Not when I am old and retired. Top of the list location: Australia. I haven't decided on what's second... it's a blur between Italy, Greece, France, Germany... Europe in general.
- I crave certain random stuff and it usually lasts a week. Right now I am on root beer, chili cheese Fritos dipped in sour cream and homemade rice krispie treats (regular/chocolate mixed with miniature marshmallows). I can only imagine the crazy pairings I would have if I was pregnant.
- Starbucks is my best friend. Until recently I wasn't able to drink coffee. Perhaps its because I drank so much cafe con leche (espresso w/milk) as a kid, who knows. But on a client planning meet I tried their white chocolate mocha... and I was saved. Now it's my pick me up. LOVE love LoVe it. Going to Starbucks makes me happy, being greeted... getting yummy goodness - what a treat! LOL I am easily amused as well. :)
- My favorite movie is Meet Joe Black... it has been since it first came out. So many good quotes and moments. [num.1 & all time favorite] In the scene where Bill is talking to his daughter, Susan, he asks her about her current boyfriend.. "It's not so much what you say about Drew, it's what you don't say... Not an ounce of excitement, not a whisper of a thrill, this relationship has all the passion of a pair of titmice... I want you to get swept away. I want you to levitate. I want you to sing with rapture and dance like a dervish... Be deliriously happy. Or at least leave yourself open to be... I know it's a cornball thing but love is passion, obsession, someone you can't live without. If you don't start with that, what are you going to end up with? I say fall head over heels. Find someone you can love like crazy and who'll love you the same way back. And how do you find him? Forget your head and listen to your heart. I'm not hearing any heart. Run the risk, if you get hurt, you'll come back. Because, the truth is there is no sense living your life without this. To make the journey and not fall deeply in love - well, you haven't lived a life at all. You have to try. Because if you haven't tried, you haven't lived.... Stay open. Who knows? Lightning could strike." In the words of Susan - "Bravo". Yes I had some help looking up the script but I know most of it by heart. Listening to it makes me get goosebumps and blush. Such rich and heartfelt words. [ I am a sucker for lavish vocabulary. It's quite the reason I love to read so much. ] I can watch the movie over and over and never get tired. I'll have to come back to this subject at a later time and discuss more of my favorite movie/book quotes.
- People. I am a people person. I like to meet my prospect clients and build a relationship from step one. Even if that means that I'll be busier during the day. Most of my clients become my friends and I care for them more than just taking their pictures. Our meet greets sometimes turned into girl-chats [especially when its for engagements/bridal because of all the lovey dovey goodness details].
- I am very emotional. Which sometimes isn't a good thing, silly tear-jerker chick. I am very passionate about life and happiness. I always want to feel... something. Whether it be happy, excited, joyful, confident, amazed, sensitive, rebellious, inspired, curious, sad, lousy, tearful, angry, bright, calm, free, playful, sunny, bold, clever, determined... its better than nothing - laying around like whatever kills me. When I'm looking for inspiration for a shoot I always strive to capture emotion. Like in the birth sessions... there are so many flying around the room: happiness, pain, anxious, tender, devoted, loving, brave, hopeful, eager. So when you look at my pictures I want you to feel what the family was portraying. If you do, then my job is well done. I want you to not only remember what you looked like but also how you felt. Years down the road it will really count.
- Taco Bell. I am obsessed. Crunchy beef tacos supreme. Enough said.
- Yellow & pink. favorite two colors. Black for clothing. oh and..
- Coats. In Miami it's never really that cold. Growing up I never had the opportunity to wear long jackets and coats. Well, as soon as I moved here things changed. The love of peacoats, raincoats, jackets, long/short... pink, green, black, red, orange.... (you name it) grew instantly. love love.
- Planning. I carry my datebook everywhere. It's quite big and the old-fashion kind but it's with me nonetheless. I do use my iPhone's calendar too... double-whammy. I'm very particular and a perfectionist so my schedule has to be well coordinated.
- Apple. I fell in love with apple products 3 years ago. Would never go back to anything else. Ever.
- Kids. I love them from all ages. It's because I see them as little people waiting to shoot up and surprise us. I had to babysit a lot and was always surrounded by the cousins back home. Little bodies, big personalities. love that. As far as me having children, one day. Lately I've been thinking in pairs 2,4,6... yeah if any they would be in pairs. I am looking forward to being a mother. To have my own to take pictures and torture. They would probably hate my camera even before they are born.
- Dancing... music and all that jazz. If I am home/driving/cooking/shooting a senior session, music is always playing. I love music. My taste is very wide ends of the spectrum. Listening to Taylor Swift right now - "Today was a Fairytale". It's been on repeat for umm like an hour. I tend to obsess with a song per day. Yesterday was Shakira's "Mon Amour". It gets me through long hours of sitting in front of the computer editing. life saver.
- Sharpies. Ultra fine point. I own every color. Even the seasonal ones. I doodle when I am talking on the phone... on paper, my hands, feet, napkins... so the permanent any-surface bonus feature helps. :)
- I can sleep forever. I don't know anyone that can sleep more than I can. I love lazy days where I am so happy to just stay in bed and do nothing but sleep and dream. I have a very vivid imagination and it makes my dreams quite memorable. In my dreams I am quite the heroine... super fierce and adventurous. No wonder I like to sleep. haha. Still, with all that love for sleep, I feel I never get enough. I am a night crawler... that's when I've got the most energy and desire to do anything... like work, edit, cook and dance. So I end up depriving myself of many zZzZz's. That's a goal I have yet managed to control - operate during regular hours. My fellow photog friends can agree with me that it's so hard to do so.
- Blog Comments. Constructive or positive... you can keep all the negative stuff to yourself unless you are a client and wish to express your opinion directly to me. Feedback makes me happy. To know that you love your pictures as much as I do.
- I love dogs. Always have. My mom never allowed me to have an inside dog as a child. She would always say that when I had my own house I could have as many I wanted but not in hers. Well, that's when Coco came into the picture. He is my mini chihuahua. My little obsession. Spoiled and so smart. You might meet him one day because he often comes everywhere with me. His green eyes melt my heart.
- I love what I do. Wouldn't want to do anything else. I feel so fortunate that it's happening and I'm enjoying every minute of it. I finally found something that genuinely makes me happy and provides for me as well. Can't beat that. I love to learn new tricks and products... the market is always changing. Sharing happiness with my clients is the greatest thing.
Alright enough about me. All these pictures of me were taken my fellow photog friend Kaylynn Marie back in August some time. I have been meaning to edit them and finally got around to it... and today I felt like blogging them. We had a photog day where we shot each other for mere fun and turned in the images to each other to see what we would make of them. She got some awesome ones of Coco being his silly self... and of me.. being awkward and feeling weird to be in front of the camera. We laughed a lot and cracked jokes, talked tools of the trade, favorite stuff.. that kind of thing. Here are my favorites that I shot of her. All of them have been edited by me... to see her version of our session click here.

7 comments:

  1. Abby, I love this and you look so pretty in the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my love!! I know I don't comment as much as I should but you know I am always checking everything you do. These pictures are awesome!! I have to say that you have come a long way! I can still remember all the photo shots we had growing up!! We had lots of fun. I can definitely state hat everything Abby said is completely true, from her shoes to sleeping forever, I have my little shoe collection as well but she beat me. I have to say that Abby is the most hard working person ever. I have known her for basically all my life and she has always been dedicated! I love you!! Call me!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie MualimJanuary 25, 2010

    Abby

    YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! This blog made me so nostalgic!! I miss you so much and i just want to tell you that you are one of the most wonderful, gorgeous, beautiful girls I have ever meet in my life!!!!!!

    i love you and miss you lots!!

    your mitochondria
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you girls! This must be quite a special post because to get Rex to comment... WOW. :P She made my day when I saw it. and Steph only people like us would understand the whole mitochondria thing. lol :) Thank you all for your kind words and I love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like your pics, althouh it looks like coco dosen't like plants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you look gorgeous as ALWAYSSSs--- and i love reading this little "about you"...brings back memories.. especially that dern planner you had... with a million things written on each day in a million different colors!! lol MISS YOU

    ReplyDelete
  7. Little Coco doesn't like plants at all. He usually eats the flowers and tears up the leaves. So this is totally him. Thanks Lauren for reading and yes there is a new planner coming along with me... not so quite full yet ;)

    ReplyDelete