Wednesday, February 10, 2010

the big apple

James and I had planned this vacation with over a year in advance. And when the date was fast approaching it seemed to catch us by surprise. I've picked random pictures (mainly because we have soo many) that will help me go along with the scoop on what we were up to. We started our trip in Patterson, NY where my cousin and his wife live. These first couple ones are in a orchard right by their complex. It was my first time seeing an apple tree and picking as well. James was busy eating and I was too shutter happy to stop and take a bite. I ended up bring my apple that I picked all the way home. It was freezing though, we didn't stay long. Next time we will have to stick around longer.
Tiny imperfections. I would love to go back and shoot a session in that kind of setting. Lots of green to work with. After a couple days there we were ready to head to the city. It was James' first time in New York and he was quite amazed at the amount of people. Even though in Miami there isn't near enough the same amount of pedestrians walking around the streets, the big city didn't scare me at all. Biggest difference to me - taxis and pigeons vs. Miami's luxury cars and seagulls. I always have loved big cities. Lots of people, lots to do, lots of places to eat, stores, parks & TRAFFIC. [ for those of you that were on the trip with us... I know I probably have the order of events all messed up.. bare with me :) ]
You all know how big of a dog lover I am... well in the city they are all over the place. I saw SO many Great Danes... ( my favorite breed ) it reminded me of my Mimi back in Miami. So of course I would stop and talk to the owners and pet the dogs. Loved how everyone had a little bag in their hand too. Haha. THAT I sure don't miss. I had never seen the dogs just hanging outside stores before. These were the most behaved pets ever. I wish Coco would sit still like that and wait for me. He already freaks out if I leave the room, I can only imagine leaving him alone outside.
James glued to his iPhone [always]. We had just got it right before we left - and wow did it turn out handy. We used it for everything. Found our way around, shopping, restaurants, 'learned the subway system' ... all thanks to our little but mighty iPhone.
We walked everywhere. If it was a really long distance then we would take the sub. We went up tall buildings and through alleys. Most of the scenery pictures I really don't remember exactly where I took them. It's all a blur now that it's been 4 months. It was the first vacation that I woke up early for - thanks to my friend (the mermaid at Starbucks right around the corner from our hotel). We walked on the Brooklyn Bridge... and I LOVED IT. If I were to live nearby that would be part of my jogging route. It was just such a pretty day & anything that is surrounded by the ocean usually makes me happy = perfect combo.
We went up to the top of the Rock. I'm sure some of these skyline shots are from there. I personally think that we got just as good shots from the other buildings we went to and didn't have to pay the cover charge. But it's one of those things that you do just to say you did. After all that walking, we built up such an appetite. Ben & Jerry's was calling our name downstairs. Cookie stop and then to the food stands around the corner. And it's true what they say - they have some of the best tasting street food. But I'll talk about food in my next post.
The new yorkers were trying to soak up all the sunshine and heat of what seem to be the last summerish day of the year by laying in the open fields at Central Park. After that it was all cold and wet for us. Tomorrow I will continue our journey with food details and more "touristy" activities.

5 comments:

  1. How fun Abigail! Looks like a great time. Looks like you had beautiful weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Mark for the comment - we had fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous, fun images! Great post.

    I picked up some of your business cards when I met you at the hospital in Baton Rouge and I've passed them along up here in Indiana and Chicago. The women loved the photos on your website. I'm also a big fan of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous, fun images! Great post.

    I picked up some of your business cards when I met you at the hospital in Baton Rouge and I've passed them along up here in Indiana and Chicago. The women loved the photos on your website. I'm also a big fan of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous, fun images! Great post.

    I picked up some of your business cards when I met you at the hospital in Baton Rouge and I've passed them along up here in Indiana and Chicago. The women loved the photos on your website. I'm also a big fan of your work!

    ReplyDelete