Monday, August 8, 2011

BFF

There is this movie that I've watched countless of times and it has the catchiest little theme song.. it goes something like this: "You've got a friend in me. You've got a friend in me. When the road looks rough ahead and your miles and miles from your nice warm bed, you just remember what your old pal said, "Boy, you've got a friend in me"." Hmm did you guess where it's from? Toy Story! As I was washing dishes today, I started humming along to that song... remembering my oldest friend. I've talked so much about her on the blog that you would think she's my child.. or Coco.. (Don't believe me? Search on the right: Rex. Haha, told ya!) I am not sure if it's a freakish thing of mine, but we have been together for so long that I feel she's with me when she's not. I can ask myself what she would say about something and even answer back in her quick slick comments. I can even see her do that lip thing and try, TRY to raise her eyebrows higher than mine. It feels like forever ago since the last time we saw each other, and even talked to each other. But we will both tell you that time and distance is something that has never once affected us. When we were kids we used to live right by each other, literally 4 houses away. Then right about middle school she moved 5 minutes driving distance. That was a OH MY GOD big deal thing. Considering that neither one of us drove, seeing each other everyday and sharing grapes wasn't going to be such an easy thing to do. But our mothers took turns bringing us both to school and that made things tolerable. Then she moved almost 2 hours away while we were in high school. If I thought the previous move was killer, I couldn't prepare for what this meant. Thank goodness for cell phones and AIM. And then it was my turn, I moved to Louisiana - 14 hours away from her. Ouch. Little by little the distance between us grew, and our bond just seemed to get stronger. Our talks that much more important and memorable. There is a saying that says you don't know what you have until it's gone. This wasn't the case because we both appreciated each other and valued our friendship tremendously. Friendships just like any other kind of relationship are work. We have had our fair share of fights and arguments, tears and like we say - attacks. But every time she was slipping away, meaning there were days I hadn't heard from her... didn't matter who's turn it was to call, or if I blew up her phone with messages, emails or even if I had to send her a webcam video... we would reunite and everything would be better. Everything always got better. Maybe because our news or troubles were now evenly spread among us two... we were no longer carrying the burden alone. We have always been the type that even our mom's know that we are closer than we are to them. To the extreme that her mom would tell me things she wanted to get through to her... And now life has switched the cards. Things have really fallen out of plan. But, I still hear her in my thoughts. Because when you love someone so so so much, there is no such thing as letting them go. They will forever be a part of you no matter what happens. No matter who tries to come between. No matter how difficult the circumstances are. Friends, if there is anything I have recently learned from what I have been through is that friends are needed. We all need someone. People who are there to hold your hand and laugh with you. Cry with you. Make weird animal noises with you. Dance your troubles away with you. Sit up late at night and jabber with you. Lay in the grass and relax with you. We may not have the same person to do all these things with. We may have several different kinds of friends. The ones we can get really close to. The ones we party with. The ones that give that motherly advice. The ones that we only get to see ever so often but can pretend like we were together yesterday once we do. And there are the ones, the rare ones, that you don't need to see, speak or be with - because they just ARE. Them existing and going about life even if they are out traveling around the world is good enough to make you happy. Be good to your friends. Value them. Don't be afraid to love them more than it seems they love you. They may just be going through something at the moment that doesn't quite let them see you the way they should. It shall pass, and they will remember what you did and how you made them feel. I know I have been rambling on today about love & friends. I had a dream last night that knocked my socks off. I dreamt that I lost her. Her that I have been talking all along about. And I just pretty much woke up out of breath and crying. What a nightmare. So, in case you have forgotten or deleted that message from a long time ago that I told you to keep looking at: I LOOOOOOOOOVE YOU. I know am not the only one tear-eyed over here right about now. What a lovely way to start my Monday. This calls for a Starbucks run - maybe even a 'Jesus in a Cup' [Custom made drink by the fabulous Corey at my local Starbucks. It's everything you need to make you feel 100% better. Anytime, every time.]. There's a extra special family session preview coming up next... Stay tuned!
SOTD: You'll Be In My Heart by Phil Collins. [ Yes I've been watching Tarzan too. ;) ]

No comments:

Post a Comment